This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital Gains Tax

tax999
Capital Gains Tax

Postby tax999 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:42 pm

I wonder if anyone can help.

Recently sold a property for a deceased relative with a gain of around £142,000 so of course CGT payable.

One of the beneficaries was a charity and they are questioning that they shouldnt have paid CGT. Is this true/can I claim CGT back from HMRC?

maths

Re: Capital Gains Tax

Postby maths » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:21 pm

Following death, estate assets may be sold by the executors as part of the administration of the estate or by the beneficiaries of any assets inherited.

Where a charity is a beneficiary of an asset of the deceased's estate normally the executors would appoint the asset out to the charity who could then sell the asset CGT free.

What was the nature of the charity's inheritance?

tax999

Postby tax999 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:55 pm

The charity were to received a one third share of the residue. The sale proceeds of the house were in the residue.

Thank you

iwmtaxadvisor

Postby iwmtaxadvisor » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:38 pm

[quote]..CGT back from HMRC?[/quote]
[b]A:[/b] as you write the question, no. Too late to consider a Deed of Variation, even if it would have helped.

[b]Other aspects[/b] (i) I'm guessing you've claimed expenses in getting title (ii) and used the CGT annual exemption (iii) and not applied the full rate of IHT but the reduced rate.
Robert Warren
Book a free meeting

tax999

Postby tax999 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:56 am

Yes expenses were deducted and full CGT allowance used. There was no IHT payable on the estate so this is not an issue.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:13 pm

The charity didn't pay any CGT. The estate did.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

maths

Postby maths » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:03 pm

It seems the executors sold the assets in the residuary estate and they (not the residuary beneficiaries) were liable to CGT on any gains on assets sold.

Preferably, the charity's inheritance should have been conveyed to them (ie the assets) by the executors leaving the charity to sell if appropriate or necessary.

tax999

Postby tax999 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:07 am

Yes i think you are right. The property should have been conveyed or sold as bare trustees i believe. Can the charity try to reclaim the tax back?

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”