This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

IHT and Legal Rights

tax999
IHT and Legal Rights

Postby tax999 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:10 pm

If an estate is left entirely to a spouse, so of course spouse exemption applies. If a child was to make a legal rights claim (Scotland), does this use up the iht band and make tax payable?

pawncob

Re: IHT and Legal Rights

Postby pawncob » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:37 am

I imagine it would have the same effect as a variation of the will, so IHT could become chargeable.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

maths

Re: IHT and Legal Rights

Postby maths » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:51 pm

Where successful claims are lodged under I (PFD) 1975 by, say, children then whatever is ordered is treated as though it had been provided for in the will. In the current post this may well lead to IHT being levied on the deceased's estate.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”