This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Mature Foreign student

Joined:Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:22 pm
Mature Foreign student

Postby SYR » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:43 pm

Hi there

I have a mature foreign student : arrived in UK Oct 2020 studying a master degree. The degree finished in Sept 2021.

In May 2021, he successfully applied for a work permit and has decided to stay in the UK.
He has foreign income around £35k per annum.

Does he have to register for self-assessment to declare his foreign income?
If so, he should be able to get split year treatment, right?
Total days in UK 174: of which 99 days he could have returned home during university breaks/holidays. Due to Covid restrictions etc, he stayed in the UK (exceptional circumstances).

He will declare his worldwide and UK income in 2021/22.

Please advise

Many thanks.

Return to “Income Tax”