This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

property sold in Spain

dbach
property sold in Spain

Postby dbach » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:00 pm

Hello,
2020 I sold a property which I inherited before I have arrived and became resident in UK. I'm self-employed and resident since 2009 in UK
In 2016 the property value was newly set to 260000. After all expenses deducted and before tax the property was sold for 395000.
Plus Valia and the 3% retention as not being a Spanish resident anymore was paid in Spain.
Do I have to make a separate declaration of capital gain in UK, and if - how do I declare the amount of tax already paid in Spain?
Thanks a lot in advance

AGoodman

Re: property sold in Spain

Postby AGoodman » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:29 am

Yes, you will have to declare the sale. In fact, if you sold between 6 April 2020 and 5 April 2021, you should be filing your return and paying any tax by 31 January 2022 (i.e. in 10 days' time). Fortunately HMRC are allowing an extra 28 days this year so you just need to file and pay (possibly with a little interest) by 28 Feb.

You will need to claim credit for the Spanish tax on your UK tax return.

"In 2016 the property value was newly set to 260000" - You do not explain how this happened but you need to be sure that the "reset" applied for UK tax (not just Spanish tax) as the usual UK position is to use the market value at the date of death of the person you inherited from.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”