This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK resident with common shares

madbilly
UK resident with common shares

Postby madbilly » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:28 pm

Hi all,

I've been granted some common shares in the company I work for. I'm currently UK resident and will be USA resident later this year. I believe I should file a 83(b) election and apply for an ITIN at the same time (I don't have one yet). Does that sound right?

As far as the UK goes, I believe that these are not an approved UK employee share scheme and therefore I'll be taxed on the gain from now until they are free of restrictions, pro-rata with the time I spend in the UK until then, which should only be a few months out of several years. Is anyone aware of anything I could be doing regarding the UK side of this? I'm not really looking to spend ages avoiding tax, just want to make sure I'm right by the rules.

Cheers :)

DavidTreitel

Re: UK resident with common shares

Postby DavidTreitel » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:17 am

An 83(b) election is not a valid reason for applying for an ITIN. An ITIN application made on this basis will be rejected by the IRS.

madbilly

Postby madbilly » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:08 pm

Hi David,

That's not the basis on which I'm applying for an ITIN, I'll actually be US tax resident later this year so I'll apply on that basis.

What about the UK part? That's the main reason I posted here.

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:13 pm

The UK position is potentially pretty complex. Do you currently work remotely in the UK for your US employer?

madbilly

Postby madbilly » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:29 pm

Hi Darth Blingbling,
Yes that's right. I actually work as a contractor for them at the moment whilst I wait for a US visa. The shares have already been granted to me, subject to vesting. Was my original summary roughly correct? Do I need to make any notification to HMRC immediately, or can I wait for this year's tax return?

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:38 pm

It's hard to give a definite answer without seeing all documentation and doing a thorough analysis. If these are restricted in the restricted securities legislation sense then an income tax obligation could arise on each chargeable event. Have any shares vested yet? Likely some UK tax (and potentially Class 1 NIC) implications will arise and will likely be based on your tax (and NI) residency position between grant and vest.

What's the overall market value of these shares, we talking modest sums or something substantial?

madbilly

Postby madbilly » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:20 am

They're worth nothing, it's a startup.

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:31 am

What are they likely to be worth on vest. Will all restrictions cease on vest?

madbilly

Postby madbilly » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:37 am

I've got no idea, it's a startup and not publicly traded so there's no market value and no forecasts that I've got insight into. I could be a billionaire or they could be scrap paper.

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:03 pm

Assuming all restrictions end on vest, likely position is that an income tax charge will arise on the market value of the shares at vest less any amount you've paid. Given you will be non resident during part of the 'performance period' of the shares, some apportionment will be required to account for periods where you were UK Res or non UK Res but had UK workdays. This can get quite tricky.

If restrictions remain after vest, further chargeable events may occur.

If they're readily convertible assets (i.e. is there or will there be some form of mechanism that will allow you to exchange the shares for cash) then Class 1 NIC may also arise for the periods in which you are resident for NIC purposes.

Given I assume the US employer has no presence in the UK, all these obligations will fall on you to report and pay.

Strong caveat that this is all very high level, non UK share schemes for internationally mobile employees can get very complicated and any formal advice would need to look at the underlying documentation.

Return to “International Tax”