This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Residency for CGT (property)

Joined:Wed May 22, 2024 2:25 am
Residency for CGT (property)

Postby GS1992 » Wed May 22, 2024 2:58 am

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of filing CGT following the sale of a rental property in the UK (May 2024).

I'm having some difficulty trying to ascertain what country I am a resident of (for tax purposes), following a move to Australia in November last year.

Whilst I have been in Australia for over 183 days (as per residency test), I am under the belief that I am not strictly a tax resident in Australia as I remain on a temporary visa (working holiday visa). However, given the extent of time I've been outside of the UK, and that I've recently been approved as a non-resident landlord - I can't imagine I am classed as a UK resident either.

Has anyone had experience in determining the above?
Are there any implications for residing in Australia (e.g. do I have to report CGT in both UK & Aus!?)

Any advice would be very much appreciated!


Joined:Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: Residency for CGT (property)

Postby bd6759 » Thu May 23, 2024 10:40 pm

CGT is payable in the UK. You have 60 days to make a return of the gain.

You’ll need to apply the rules for the statutory residence test to determine if you are UK resident.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”