This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Do HM Customs check your bank to see if amounts match invoices?

davephillips

Postby davephillips » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:22 pm

i have a query

say i am paying for multiple cars from Japan to be imported to UK and say i pay for 4 cars in one go, but this is an advance payment from myself to my agent in Japan,

do the HM customs check your bank statements to see how much money has gone out of your account to check whether it matches with what you showed to customs when paying import dut and vat.

For example, if i have paid 900,000 yen for 3 cars,

but so far my agent in Japan has only sent me 1 car which is costing 200,000 yen,
how can i show customs that this car is really costing 200,000 yen when my bank statement will show i have sent 900,000 yen ?

can someone advise?

davephillips

Postby davephillips » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:37 pm

if someone can advise

as i currently have an agreement with my japanese agent to have rolling credit,
where i give money in advance and then when they find me a car, they send me it.

will the customs ask me about it, and what can i do, since all i have is my bank statement which says i paid 900,000 yen, which was for 3 cars.
but for the 1 car i received, it was 200,000 yen out of the 900,000 advance payment i made

if someone can advise

thanks

CDavey9501@aol.com

Postby CDavey9501@aol.com » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:55 am

Presumably you have all the paperwork to substantiate this. Personally I would't pay the agent anything other than a small deposit until they found the car for me (but then again I am an untrusting sort).

davephillips

Postby davephillips » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:30 pm

yes, i have the invoice from my japanese agent.

i have to use the invoice when getting cars cleared by customs at the port,
they issue receipt etc and a special form which is required to register car with DVLA,

so do you think this is enough?

leedsCIMAstudent

Postby leedsCIMAstudent » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:19 am

As long as you explain that you have paid in advance then yes, it should be.

I presume you have some form of document that relates to the advance payment (i.e. proforma invoice etc) so you can explain/justify these funds leaving your bank account?

Are imported cars like this much cheaper?

Is it true that they're hard to insure in the UK though?

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”