This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Recent f graduates

textiles

Postby textiles » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:58 am

I have recently graduated from university and am in full time (temp) employment. Two friends of mine informed me that they only pay NI as their accoutant told them that they do not pay tax on the first £5000 they earn after leaving uni, but I am getting charged tax! who is right?

Simon Sweetman

Postby Simon Sweetman » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:10 am

You pay tax on the income you earn in a tax year, so if you are working now you are likely to earn well over £5000 by 5 April 2006. The personal allowance is a little less than £5000.

At the start of employment you might well not pay tax for the first month or two, because the PAYE system works cumulatively. So if you first worked in October and earned £1500 a month you would probably not pay tax for the first two months.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”