This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How best to reply to Revenue

jcuk

Postby jcuk » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:48 am

If you feel you have a clear answer to queries raised by the tax office, should you stick to careful answering of the direct questions sent to you in an investigation, or is a more fullsome answer that may put the issue to rest likely to be a better approach.

Issues relate to a mistake on the tax return (which I made) and earnings outside the UK as a person not ordinarily resident (which I think are eminently supportable).

Lambs

Postby Lambs » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:20 pm

J,

Clearly you have a nice appreciation of the matter: this is a question a tax practitioner will often ask himself as he considers his (or her) reply. Be concise and avoid confusing the matter, or provide background information that should prevent further related queries?

It is a matter of judgement and experience, set against the particular circumstances of the case in hand.

I should with respect suggest that I could no more advise you in this regard without knowing the full facts, than you should expect a mechanic to tell you what's wrong with your car's engine without being able to lok under the bonnet.

I should strongly recommend that you speak to a professional tax adviser directly, or even ask one to correspond with HM Inspector on your behalf.

Regards,

Lambs

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”