This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sole Trader Renting Property

Bill001

Postby Bill001 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:26 am

I am self employed and with my wife own a wharehouse/office and an area of agricultural land that I use for the work that I do. My question is this:

Can I rent the property to myself & wife and then claim this as a business expense? And then claim the rent as a seperate income (on which NI is not payable)?

Are there any possible difficulties that I might encounter with this?

Many thanks,

Mike

JasonButcher

Postby JasonButcher » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:19 am

I know if your business was incorporated then yes you could rent the property at a market rent. This is a good method to extract funds from the business and avoid National Insurance.
I think as you are self employed it would not work.

Bill001

Postby Bill001 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:52 am

The properties are owned equally by my wife and myself. So presumably she could recieve rent from my self employed activities?

Thanks,

Mike

Bill001

Postby Bill001 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:49 am

Could I therefore pay my wife a rent for her share of the property? Effectively 50 percent of the rent?
Thanks,

Mike

JasonButcher

Postby JasonButcher » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:05 am

I would imagine so.
But the rent would have to be the market rent.

Return to “Business Tax”