This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Is it a Hobby or Self Employment?

Cornwall

Postby Cornwall » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:35 am

At what point does a hobby become a business, in the eyes of the Inland Revenue or NIC?
I understood it to be when it went over a profit of £2,500 per year, is this still correct? Is there any case law to support.
e.g.I buy dolls from america (on the net) and sell through e-bay auctions, so do not make a lot of money in fact made less than £500 in a year, but the Tax Office have contacted me wanting me to register as self employed.
With thanks in anticipation.
signed: Cornwall

hashman

Postby hashman » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:56 am

£2500 per year - news to me.

Basically if you are carrying on a business (and I use then term neutrally) with a view to profit then you are liable to tax on any profits realised. Even one-off transactions can be(and have been) treated as 'adventures in the nature of trade' and taxed. From what you have said I would say you are definitely trading.

You should have registered within 3 months. But as your profits are currently low the exception for small earnings will apply for Class 2 and 4 NICs. This should also get you out of the penalty of £100 for not registering.

deanshepherd

Postby deanshepherd » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:58 am

If you are purchasing items with the intention to resell at a higher value then that is a trade and all profits will be taxable.

I am unaware of any £2,500 threshold and in fact I would suggest that the defining point at which a hobby must become a business is when any profits are made.

Dean Shepherd
dean.shepherd@mmi-online.co.uk
MMI Accoutancy
www.mmi-online.co.uk

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:01 am

I am not aware of any such "£2500 pa" concession.

If this is your only source of income, it minimum Personal Allowance (£4895 for 2005-06).

If not, it will be taxed at you highest marginal rate of tax.

If you make a profit on a regular basis, it is likely to be classed as a Business. Otherwise it's a hobby, with no relief for any Losses.

If a business, you need to consider Insurance, Business rates, planning permission etc.

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:03 am

Sorry, my second parargraph should have read :

"If this is your only source of income, it won't be taxable, as it is less than the minimum Personal Allowance (£4895 for 2005-06)."

amos

Postby amos » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:28 am

Dear Cornwall,
Adding to my colleagues comments...
The profit motive is only one of a number of "Badges of Trade" which distinguish a trade from a hobby. "Frequency of transactions" might apply in your case, as well as others. The HMRC website may help you further.
Also, you do not necessarily have to make a profit in your early years, and losses are quite valuable!
The moral of the story, it might pay you to register anyway!
Good Luck!

hashman

Postby hashman » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:31 am

I realise this is late but hopefully someone will read it.

Basically I have just come across a reference to a limit of £2,500 - but it is applies to the non issuing of tax returns by the Revenue where income does not exceed this amount - provided the tax due can be dealt with through PAYE.

Interesting?

Cornwall

Postby Cornwall » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:10 am

With thanks to all for your help.
Just a point of interest, As the Tax Office (NIC) does not actually advise me as an individual that I have to inform them within 3 months,
Can a penalty be appealed on the basis that I had no knowledge of this time limit until I actually registered? Is there any case law to support?
Cornwall

deanshepherd

Postby deanshepherd » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:13 am

Unfortunately ignorance of the law is no excuse.

However, if your profits remained below the small earnings threshold (circa £4k per annum) since you started then the penalty will not apply.

Dean Shepherd
dean.shepherd@mmi-online.co.uk
MMI Accoutancy
www.mmi-online.co.uk

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”