This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Should I be worried?

flinty

Postby flinty » Wed May 03, 2006 12:11 am

Hi,

I sent in my self assessment tax return as usual in January as accurate as possible letting my local tax office calculate my tax for me, however I have not got the SA302 Tax Calculation letter yet or a new self assessment form for the following tax year.

In previous years I have always got the SA302 Tax Calculation letter by now.

It is now May.

Is it normal not to have got it by now?

I am worried that the delay means I am being investigated, or going to be investigated.

Please advise!

Fred

hashman

Postby hashman » Wed May 03, 2006 12:23 am

As you submitted the tax return after the 30 September deadline you should have computed the tax due. This may be holding things up.

tom 7000

Postby tom 7000 » Wed May 03, 2006 12:55 am

call them up and ask them if they received it - then thhey will tell you that they are still working on their post received in november (I bet)

If they say they didnt get it - better send it in again...

tom

flinty

Postby flinty » Wed May 03, 2006 2:07 am

Thanks for your replies, I know they got my completed self-assessment forms I sent as I sent them via Special Delivery.

The reason I am worried is I have heard nothing back from them, and its been 3 months now.

In previous years when I have returned the self-assessment forms back I have got the SA302 Tax Calculation letter in February or March.

I worry they are taking so long as they are planning an investigation on me.

Its affecting my business and I can't focus, as I am not sure whether to get all the paperwork ready in anticipation of an investigation or just carry on as usual with my business and assume it is just a delay on their part.

Thanks

Fred

Kiran

Postby Kiran » Fri May 19, 2006 9:19 am

Before wasting your time on preparation... give them a call. A telephone call does not initiate an investigation. Possibly SA302 was lost in the post / many tax districts are merging and moving causing delays. So do not worry. Question is have you paid the tax (if due) on time (31.1.06)?
That should avoid any interest and surcharges. Being wise and sending it via S.Del. you have got the proof and the lateness penalties would not apply. If it was misplaced in their office all they can ask is a copy of it.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”