This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

taxation on second income

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:36 pm

Postby Doug727 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:28 am

I am employed and also have a limited company that has begun to earn me money.

I am confused about how the income from my limited company will be taxed and also what payment I will need to make (as the person working for the limited company) as regards NI - considering I will already be paying NI from my PAYE job and income tax aswell.

I am completely new to running a limited company and would like any views on the best way to manage these to incomes so that I do not get clobbered by tax

Many thanks in advance to anyvbody who can shed some light on things for me


Peter D
Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:37 pm

Postby Peter D » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:35 am

If you have a limited company you must be preparing annual accounts and submissions to the Inland revenue. They can then control the appropriate tax code and direct on emplyoer to use the Allowances and the other to use BR Base Rate. The Tax Return will establish the total income and therefore the potential 40% tax rate. Pop into your local tax office or talk with the IR people that reside witnint a Job Centre Plus Centre. Regards Peter

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Postby deanshepherd » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:44 am

You should really seek professional advice to make sure the income derived from your company is taxed in the most efficient manner.

It is possible, and in fact probable, that you will not pay any NI contributions on your limited company's income but the structure needs to be right for your specific circumstances.

MMI Accountancy

Peter D
Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:37 pm

Postby Peter D » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:49 am

Absolutely. Regards Peter

Return to “Income Tax”