This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax compliance

joepalmer452

Postby joepalmer452 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:58 am

I was investigated by the Inland Revenue around 1995. At the end of the investigation I was charged overdue tax and I also paid a penalty. Since then I am being followed by cars even though I am now on PAYE and no longer self employed. The inspector did tell me that that is what they do if you don't comply with their demands. I have contacted a few organisations who have approached them and they say they are not the ones following me. How do I resolve this matter with them?

saba

Postby saba » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:09 am

I suggest you contact the police.

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:34 am

Are you a big enough risk to warrant the resources that would be needed to follow you in cars at various times. I think that this must be something else and suggest you take a car registration or two along with dates and times and description of the occupant(s). If the same one appears more than once then you would have a reasonable concern to report it to the police.
I would also take note if there is more than occupant in the car.
But remember when you are doing this to keep your eyes on the road.
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

Instinctive

Postby Instinctive » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:01 am

I am very surprised at your comments that the Tax Inspector told you that this what they do. If he did tell you this, he must have been trying to frighten you. I would also think that he would get a good telling off if you reported a complaint against him.

As far as I am aware, Inland Revenue don't follow people around in cars.

Ramnik

al_eebee

Postby al_eebee » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:29 pm

I would agree with Ramnik that he was probably just playing mind games with you. It was over 10 years ago now and unless it was a very large investigation, and even if it was, I would highly doubt that HMRC would be involved in any such thing,

In my time in the revenue years ago the most I was ever aware of was an inspector taking a notebook with him on Sunday strolls on the prom, or briefly diverting to an address on the way back from a visit to see what was on the drive, but nothing like you suggest.

saba

Postby saba » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:01 am

I once did a work placement at the Revenue, and went out with Inspectors who specifically spy on people and their homes with binoculars to gather evidence. However I do not believe that they would spend so much time and money following one person.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”