This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Chef Clothing as an expense

grannys

Postby grannys » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 am

I am a sole trader with a market stall selling pancakes and waffles, to differentiate myself I wear chef clothes, hat trousers, apron etc.

My question is (even after reading information on the HM revenue web site) can I claim these as expense items.

Kind regards

CDavey9501@aol.com

Postby CDavey9501@aol.com » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:05 am

I'd day yes. The amounts are probably so small in any case that I'm not sure if I'd loose too much sleep about it if I were an Inspector.

The Ivy Office Ltd

Postby The Ivy Office Ltd » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:01 am

If it amounts to a "uniform" or protective clothing that you would not wear normally. then I would say yes.

Otherwise no
see extract from a famous case

The case of Mallalieu v Drummond [1983] 57TC330 established that no deduction is available under Case I/II Schedule D for the costs of clothing which forms part of an ‘everyday' wardrobe. This remains so even where the taxpayer can show that they only wear such clothing in the course of their profession. It is irrelevant that the person chooses not to wear the clothing in question on non-business occasions, the only question is whether the clothing might suitably be worn as part of a hypothetical person’s ‘everyday' wardrobe.

Most professionals have to keep up appearances but their clothing costs are not allowable (even where they amount to a quasi uniform as in Mallalieu).

The cost of clothing that is not part of an ‘everyday' wardrobe (for example a nurse’s uniform or evening dress (‘tails’) worn by a professional waiter) faces no such bar to deduction.

You should therefore allow a deduction for protective clothing and uniforms.

Dennis@taxesclear.co.uk

grannys

Postby grannys » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:28 am

Thank you both for the prompt answers.

Taking up one of the points "the only question is whether the clothing might suitably be worn as part of a hypothetical person’s ‘everyday' wardrobe." - and as my answer would be no as I do not wear my Chefs clothes when I am not working, I will add these clothing items as expenses.

Once again thanks for the guidance.

Return to “General”