This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Falconry and birds of prey - any allowances to claim ?

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:06 am

Hello - I am unfamiliar with this site but it has been recommended by a friend and I hope someone can possibly answer my question. We recently set up a bird of prey centre and we also visit various fairs around the country giving flying demonstrations with our birds. We have owned two of the birds for fifteen years whilst we recently bought three more which cost about £1000. My question is can we claim any allowances in respect of the £1000 recently paid. I have looked at various tax leaflets but am not sure if the total cost can be claimed as an expense in our accounts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

adi36

Postby adi36 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:13 am

Hi

Well i seem to remember a very old tax case where a farmer claimed capital allowances on his horse which he used in the business. On that basis i see no problem with claiming for the birds.

Regards
A Stevens
ASHER_taxconsultancy@hotmail.co.uk

adi36

Postby adi36 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:24 am

the inland revenue manual CA21220 confirms you should get allowances on them.

Regards

A Stevens

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:32 am

Many thanks for your incredibly quick reply - did'nt really hold out much hope of getting a response at all on this question ! Very impressed with this forum. Kind regards - Jamie

The Ivy Office Ltd

Postby The Ivy Office Ltd » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:55 am

The old tax case you are referring to is in relation to dray horses used by Whitbread Brewery.

Remember Jamie, that you do not claim 100% as a cost in your accounts but make a capital allowance claim seperately on your self assessment tax return (partnership one as you say "we")

dennis@taxesclear.co.uk

The Ivy Office Ltd

Postby The Ivy Office Ltd » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:04 am

You can also claim capital allowances on the old birds at their value when you started the buisness. This will be restricted to Writing down allowances, first year allowances not being available.

Dennis@taxesclear.co.uk

CDavey9501@aol.com

Postby CDavey9501@aol.com » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:46 am

And balancing allowances if they fly away for good or meet their maker.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:09 pm

many thanks to everyone - really helpful - hopefully won't neeed to claim balancing allowances too soon ! !

Return to “Business Tax”