This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

I have lived in Germany and want o sell my house in Scotland which I have had for 14 years but has been rented out for the past 8 years. Would I have to pay some sort of tax when i sell it?

tiger12

Postby tiger12 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:27 am

I have a property in Scotland which I bought in 1993 for 43.000 it is now estimated at 118,000. I moved to Germany for work and personal reasons and left the house with an agency to rent out for me. The tenants would now like to buy my house but I'm not sure what kind of tax I must pay and if it is then worth me selling it.

Could you please give me some advice? Thank you.

DME

Simon Sweetman

Postby Simon Sweetman » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:32 am

As a non-resident you do not pay CGT in the UK. You may of course have to pay tax in Germany.

CDavey9501@aol.com

Postby CDavey9501@aol.com » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:37 am

I presume you have been declaring the rental income in the UK and paying any UK income tax since moving to Germany. You may also have a German liability on any rental profits?

UK Capital Gains Tax: If you continue to live in Germany then there should not be any UK CGT to pay.

I'm not sure what your German tax position is on any capital gain but I undersatnd that there may be no german tax if you have held the object for over 10years?

tiger12

Postby tiger12 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:51 am

Thank you both for your prompt replies!

Yes, I have been declaring the rental income and have been liable to paying UK income Tax although I have never exceeded the private allowance so haven't actually paid anything. I have also heard that the German taxation law does state that if you own a property more than 10 years you don't need to pay tax on it.I will need to clear that point here.

Return to “Property Taxation”