This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Company Vehicle Tax

Nigel1

Postby Nigel1 » Tue May 22, 2007 1:53 pm

After recieving some pretty poor company car tax advice from the previuos tax adviser to our company, Myself and two of my colleagues are now left not only with a shortfall in our previous tax allowances, that we are now paying back as well as our current tax. We are desperate to ensure that we pay as little comapny car tax as possible. We all operate large diesel estates and wondered whether a switch to a pick up type vehicle would show big reductions? Our company also pays for all of our fuel, so our benefit in kind for fuel allowance is also high (would a fuel card or something similiar be an advantage?)! We work within the construction industry so the 'pick-up' would not be an issue. Your thoughts please, many thanks in advance.

Nigel1

Postby Nigel1 » Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 am

Posted this question a couple of days ago, still no replies, I wondered whethre I have been a bit too specific in my question, could someone please advise.

Thank you

Bob Jones

Postby Bob Jones » Fri May 25, 2007 3:17 pm

Nigel

As everyone seems to be shying away from ths one - here goes - there are so many variables with this it is impossible to give a definitive answer - I think that is why no one wants to put their head above the parapet.It seems that you have a "car" provided by the company. Dependent upon the mileage it might be better to take a taxable increase in pay, buy your own vehicle and claim 10p a mile fuel off your employer and claim the balance from HMRC. Obviously your employer would have to go along with this and in doing so he would have to be convinced that it would, at least, be cost neutral -- employers NIC becomes an issue here.
A car is described at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM23020.htm
Vans are treated differently - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM22725.htm
A pick up is likely to be a car for tax purposes .....
If you want to contact me personally bob.jones25@btinternet.com

Regards

Bob

Return to “Company Taxation”