This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Cgt/Iht

Herbs16

Postby Herbs16 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:09 am

I hope someone can help
My father died leaving my mun a 2/3 share in 2 houses, not ppr worth £250k, she has now passed them to myself and brother.
Assuming she lives for 7 years i assume there is no iht.
If we sell them now is there any cgt?
Thanks in advance

Peter D

Postby Peter D » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:17 am

Depending on the time that has passed there may be a CGT liability on your Mum. This was not best was to do this, if your father passed away less than 2 years ago I would have considered a Deed of Variation leaving the share of the property to you directly so they did not enter Mums estate. I would also give carefull consideration to the use of your fathers Nil Rate band. Was there a discretionary trust in place. However you do say 'she has now passed' Who owns the other 1/3 share. Did your Mum take advice on this and haa the Deed application gone through yet. Regards Peter

Lee Young

Postby Lee Young » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:46 am

I entirely agree with Peter. If he died less that 2 years ago get advice soonest!
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

Herbs16

Postby Herbs16 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:54 am

hi
thanks
it was more than 2 years ago, the deed application hasnt gone through yet from mum to us.

Lee Young

Postby Lee Young » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:28 am

in which case get some paid for tax advice before signing.
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

Peter D

Postby Peter D » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:21 am

As Lee states, get some paid advice before signing.
This is a damage limitation exercise and needs considered thought and all the facts including who the other 1/3 owner is. One potential CGT reduction is to transfer one property to one sibling this year and one in the next FY. Be warned if She transferred 1/3 to you each this year and 1/3 each to you next year this will trigger a 'Link' transaction and be treated as one transaction. It is also important to look at the goal, yes Mum wants to reduce her estate for IHT reasons I assume but what are you going to do with the property. Regards Peter

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”