This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

tax due

butterflywings

Postby butterflywings » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:38 am

After an enquiry into my 2001/2002 return, the inspector has concluded that i owe £6,500 for 3 years returns although my income is under £10k he has suggested a meeting, will it be helpful to attend and will he review this figure as i am unable to pay without drastic measures?

jbaileycta@btopenwor

Postby jbaileycta@btopenwor » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:36 am

It is generally a good idea to agree to meetings - not to do so is regarded as lack of co-operation, and may affect any penalties you are charged.

It is also wise to be professionally represented at the meeting, but if money is tight I appreciate you may not be able to afford this. There is an organisation called TaxAid that may be able to help you - I don't have their address at my fingertips, but you could have a look at their website.

James Bailey, Chartered Tax Adviser

butterflywings

Postby butterflywings » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:03 pm

Thanks for your helpful comment, I'll check Tax Aid out on the net.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”