This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

letter of offer

butterflywings

Postby butterflywings » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:24 am

I have been given a settlement figure of £6,500 from the Tax Inspecor and he has given me time to raise funds. He says once I do this I must send a letter of offer. Can someone please tell me what this means.

mike.hayes@firstcapi

Postby mike.hayes@firstcapi » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:01 am

Dear Butterflywings,

I am assuming you have been the subject of an enquiry, and you are now close to concluding it with the Inspector?

In the words of the Irishman after being asked for directions 'if i was going there i wouldn't start from here'.

You can get guidance on suitable letters from the Inland Revenue website http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk, go to 'practioner zone' and use the search facility under using 'manuals'.

What you don't say is why the additional tax is due, your offer should take into account factors such as:-

Was it your fault?
was it a simple error or deliberate omission?
Did you tell HMIT, or did they pick it up?
Can you claim new expenses or reliefs now?

It might be worth seeking professional advice, it might save you money, at least the initial consultation should be free, and could give you pointers.

Mike

butterflywings

Postby butterflywings » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:24 am

Thanks for your kind comment I will definitely get professional advice.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”