This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

I revenue wants my wife's Bank statments

Ghasaq

Postby Ghasaq » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:48 am

my 2002/2003 return under enquiry by the local inspector.He inspected all the books & records and couldn't find any thing major. Because our household bills gets paid out of my wife's account, I transfer money from my business account to her personal account.The Inspector now wants my wife to provide him with her personal bank statments. Can he do so bearing in mind that she has nothing to do with the enquiry.
Please Help.

york@account.vg

Postby york@account.vg » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:21 pm

Basically, not without good reason.

I strongly advise you to use a professional advisor, who will communicate with revenue for you. There may be something I am unaware of which came to light during the inspection.

Adrian Lawrence
Account Business management Solutions Ltd
york@account.vg

Simon Sweetman

Postby Simon Sweetman » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:50 am

From what you have said, if the enquiry is into your tax return the inspector has no right at all to see your wife's bank statements, and indeed you have no right to send them to him.

For any further discussion please email me at simon.sweetman@btinternet.com

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”