This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Employer issued incorrect P11D

Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:06 pm

Employer issued incorrect P11D

Postby Xrtch53 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:10 pm

Hi there, I need some help and advice on a query that has come up for last tax year. HMRC have notified that I underpaid tax by approx £1k, due to company car benefit.
I did have a company car for part of the year and the benefit value was 3.5k.

I spoke to HMRC who advised they received an additional P11D from an old employer with another company car on it.

I did not work for this company during the tax year, nor have a company car from them. HMRC say they cannot rectify this issue and the employer is proving difficult to contact.

What is the best course of action to dispute this P11D value from an old employer?


Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:41 am
Location: Camberley, Surrey

Re: Employer issued incorrect P11D

Postby jerome.lane » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:52 am

It sounds like your former employer has calculated a P11D benefit even though you did not have use of the car. This is more common for items like private medical where an enduring benefit can carry on if the employer forgets to cancel the policy.

You should be able to gather proof you did not have use of the car (P45, leaving date, proof handed car keys back date etc) and write to both HMRC and your former employer to rectify the issue.

Unless the employer asserts that you had the car, they should amend the P11D report to make the car a pool car or declare who really used it. It's probably not entirely your employers fault if their accountants are preparing the P11D's for them.

Good luck. This won't be easy unless your former employer steps in and does the right thing....
Jerome Lane
Tax Advisor
Chartered Accountants
Telephone: 01276 61203

Posts: 2843
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:01 pm

Re: Employer issued incorrect P11D

Postby robbob » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:52 pm

The tax office definitely has a preference for the employer amending any incorrect p11d's information- so simplest way to get tax office off your back is for employer to confirm in writing to you what the correct totals are - i would be pretty confident if they did that they would at the same time correct anything wrong.

Basically if you are at odds with your employer one is basically telling porkies to hmrc and hmrc don't know which - so not an ideal situation.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”