This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

W-8BEN-E form and a foreign tax number

Catalina
W-8BEN-E form and a foreign tax number

Postby Catalina » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:29 pm

Hello everyone. I work for a charity here in London and one of our regular donor wrote a book that has been sold only in US. This person wants donate all the royalties to us. I know that we need to have a W-8BEN-E form and a 9 digit foreign tax number. The problem is: we don't have none of this and I don't know how we can get it. Please, if anyone can help with this I would be very grateful. Thanks in advanced!

darthblingbling

Re: W-8BEN-E form and a foreign tax number

Postby darthblingbling » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:42 pm

IRS gives guidance for foreign corporations. You should apply for an EIN via the form known as SS-4. The help is actually surprisingly thorough for the IRS:
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/interna ... umbers-tin - Near the bottom of the page.

You're basically applying for an EIN for the sole purposes of filling in your W8-BEN. Once you have this number you would put it in box 5 of the W8-BEN and leave box 6 empty.

Catalina

Postby Catalina » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:35 pm

Hi darthblingbling, thanks for your answer.

Is this SS-4 form for companies or individuals?

This donor is an individual. I do think that I got the wrong form, the form should be W-BEN.

I'm very confusing with all this US tax. Could you help me sort out this matter, please?

Thanks so much!

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:22 pm

SS-4 is for applying for an EIN (companies basically).

As you (your company/charity) are the one being paid, it's you that will need this.

Once you have your EIN you can fill out the rest of the W8-BEN form.

Return to “Business Tax”