This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

WDF and my offshore income

atif1980
WDF and my offshore income

Postby atif1980 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:45 pm

I hope someone can help me. I've received a letter from the HMRC Offshore Coordination Unit who now know that I have overseas bank accounts and are asking me to confirm whether or not I am compliant with my UK taxes in relation to my offshore income/gains. Not sure how best to respond..

Thanks

Atif

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: WDF and my offshore income

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:03 pm

Best to be honest and upfront as they will have strong evidence that you have a offshore bank account. There are many tax authorities around the world sharing information with each other

AmanSood

Postby AmanSood » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:31 am

Hi Atif, I would agree with GTA as HMRC has access to lots of information and some of this is now being automatically shared with HMRC (without asking). If of interest, please see our article (link below) which provides further information on HMRC's increasing activity in this area and if I would hazard a guess, the letter you received from HMRC is probably very similar to the sample included in the article.

http://e-taxconsulting.com/onewebmedia/ ... 202017.pdf

Thanks

Aman
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

DavidTreitel

Postby DavidTreitel » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:46 pm

Hi Atif, I would agree with GTA as HMRC has access to lots of information and some of this is now being automatically shared with HMRC (without asking). If of interest, please see our article (link below) which provides further information on HMRC's increasing activity in this area and if I would hazard a guess, the letter you received from HMRC is probably very similar to the sample included in the article.

Thanks

Aman
Aman - are you saying to complete HMRCs certificate?? or not??

AmanSood

Postby AmanSood » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:57 pm

Thanks

Aman

It's not like you have a choice DavidTreitel... if HMRC asks you to complete the certificate then you have to. You just need to make sure this is correctly completed and do the required up-front review/analysis
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

DavidTreitel

Postby DavidTreitel » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:47 pm

Thanks

Aman

It's not like you have a choice DavidTreitel... if HMRC asks you to complete the certificate then you have to. You just need to make sure this is correctly completed and do the required up-front review/analysis
Why would this certificate be required to be completed? Under which piece of UK legislation, specifically?

Return to “International Tax”