This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Why does this forum exist?

foxmccloud
Why does this forum exist?

Postby foxmccloud » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:39 pm

I understand that people like to post on forums for a variety of reasons. E.g. to discuss things that interest them, to influence political/moral ideologies or to increase their own knoeledge or even just to help people out. But I must say I am very thankful and a bit surprised that this forum exists. Normally people pay a lot of money for this advice; why do you give it away for free?

JRG

Re: Why does this forum exist?

Postby JRG » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:55 pm

I started off by asking a question, and then decided to begin answering questions for the many people who cannot fathom the intricacies of HMRC's tax system. There have been many calls for the tax system to be simplified, but until that happens (if it ever is) I will continue to answer as many questions as I can, gratis.

foxmccloud

Postby foxmccloud » Tue May 01, 2018 11:21 am

That's a nice answer.

I hope that in some months I too have enough knowledge to help people.

maths

Postby maths » Tue May 01, 2018 12:42 pm

An interesting question.

I'm amazed at how many people know about the site. How did you find out about it; simply "googled" ?

What I do know is that there are some extremely knowledgable people (present company excepted!)who answer the questions posed which many professionals would charge a fair bit for.

What the site has also shown is that there are many solicitors/accountants and HMRC Help LIne who are not on top of the subject and offer advice which may be a little suspect; this seems in particular to have been true following the introduction of the 3% SDLT charge.

However, we all make mistakes and I'm a fair believer in those in glass houses.......

Return to “General”