This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Withholding tax in Japan - do I need to pay this?

mikey-023
Withholding tax in Japan - do I need to pay this?

Postby mikey-023 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:25 am

I have been offered a book deal with a Japanese translation company, who appear to be telling me I must pay 20.42% withholding tax on the advance and royalties.

I checked out the PWC info on this - http://taxsummaries.pwc.com/ID/Japan-Corporate-Withholding-taxes

And this appears to say that there is a deal in place on earnings in Japan - but I have no clue how to read this document.

I pay 0% WHT on US earnings, due to a US-UK tax deal - so does something similar apply here?

Can anyone clarify the position?

Thank you.

AGoodman

Re: Withholding tax in Japan - do I need to pay this?

Postby AGoodman » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:42 pm

You may have to take Japanese tax advice - it may be a matter of reclaiming the withholding tax from the authorities there.

maths

Postby maths » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:21 pm

On the basis that the income constitutes "royalties" then under the UK/Japan double tax treaty as a UK resident you are not subject to any Japanese tax on such income i.e. no withholding tax.

However, in practice you are often required to complete an appropriate form for the Japanese tax authorities confirming your right to utilise the UK/Japan treaty and avoid their domestic withholding tax.

Your publisher in Japan should be aware of this and should be able to help.

maths

Postby maths » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:24 pm

Vice-versa a Japanese resident receiving UK source royalties would complete the form below:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/453007/japan-1-dt.pdf

Return to “International Tax”