This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Working full-time in Poland - claim back income tax in the UK

philly
Working full-time in Poland - claim back income tax in the UK

Postby philly » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:15 pm

I will be working full-time in Poland from some point in March 2018. Can I claim back income tax paid in Poland in my self-assessment tax return in the UK for 2018/19? Do I still need to submit a tax return?

Can I claim I am tax resident in the UK although I spend all my time in Poland?

bd6759

Re: Working full-time in Poland - claim back income tax in the UK

Postby bd6759 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:20 pm

The UK will not refund tax paid in Poland. That is Poland's responsibility.

etf

Re: Working full-time in Poland - claim back income tax in the UK

Postby etf » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:18 pm

You may be able to qualify as non-UK resident for the 2018/19 UK tax year. I suggest you take a look at the conditions of the 3rd automatic overseas test and the necessary record keeping requirements. If you do qualify as non-UK resident, you will not be subject to UK tax on earnings for work performed outside the UK.

You should also take a look at the split tax year rules for 2017/18 to see whether you are entitled to make a claim.

If you continue to receive UK source income e.g. rent a UK property etc, you may have to file a UK tax return, otherwise completion of form P85 may be the best way to advise HMRC that you have left the UK.

You can find a PWC Polish expatriate tax guide in the useful links section of the website below.

KR

etf

www.theexpatriatetaxfactory.com

Return to “International Tax”