This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet
Tax Insider Tip: Excess Capital Allowances Claim
14/12/2016, by Tax Insider, Tax Tips - Property Tax
Rating: 1/5 from 1 people

If there is an overall income tax loss on an individual’s (not a company’s) continuing property portfolio over a tax year and that loss has been created by excess capital allowances claimed, then that loss can be relieved by being offset against the owner’s other (‘general’) income for the same and/or next tax year. Otherwise the loss is automatically carried forward and set against future profits of the same UK property business.

The loss would best be used against other income for the same and/or next tax year if the taxpayer had taxable income in excess of the personal allowance.

If other income exceeds the personal allowance, better tax planning would be to carry forward the loss, so as not to waste the loss against income already covered by the personal allowance – remember also that capital allowances can be disclaimed (restricted) to suit. The loss can be set against the current year, or the following year, or both if large enough.

Any unutilised loss is carried forward for offset against future rental profits.

James owns a portfolio of four properties. He purchased capital assets and claimed Annual Investment Allowance (see Tip 32 for detail) producing an overall loss of £10,000.

If he is a taxpayer with income in excess of the personal allowance he can claim for the loss to be offset, thereby reducing his taxable income resulting in a possible tax refund.

If he has no other income the loss should be carried forward and offset against profits of the future period, if any.

This is a sample tip taken from our 112 page guide:

101 Tax Tips For Landlords 2016/17

About The Author

The above article is taken from 'Tax Insider,' TaxationWeb's own publication specifically for taxpayers and their advisors. 'Tax Insider' is a monthly magazine containing numerous tax tips, articles, questions and answers from leading tax experts, aimed at helping taxpayers to save tax and reduce their liabilities.

To register and download free copies of Tax Insider, and for details of special offers and how to order, visit:

Back to Tax Tips

Please register or log in to add comments.

There are not comments added

ICPA Chairman Tony Margaritelli discusses 3 topics centred around October, including: 1. HMRC Furlough Fraud & Fighting For Your Clients, 2. Think About Yourself, 3. Are You a HMRC Customer.