Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet
Latest from the Forum Post Your Tax Query Latest from the Forum
PPR relief with absence abroad
on 23/09/2017 12:20, by Naz

Hi, we bought our house back in 1985, lived in it as our family home for ten years. Moved abroad for work and have been renting out since to-date. Now considering returning back. Questions are: 1. CGT status if we sell this property before returning. 2. Must we ... Continue Reading

cgt on a flat
on 22/09/2017 18:00, by 134Shopping

I own a flat and lived in it from 2001 to 2007 but then moved in with my girlfriend. After a year I let out my flat for rent, and still do. Now I want to move back, and will have to sell. I do not own any other property, and never have. As the property has gained ... Continue Reading

Day trader tax
on 22/09/2017 16:28, by davidchester

Hi, I will soon be working as a Day Trader (from home) trading the forex / foreign exchange market full time, as my only source of income. How do I structure myself to pay tax? I am based in the UK. My role entails buying and selling currencies via a retail ... Continue Reading

Money gifts & IHT
on 22/09/2017 12:27, by melvinsummers

Hi I hope someone can help clear this up for us:- My 87 year old mother and her 5 children are a little confused by the available advice online regarding making gifts of money & Inheritance Tax etc. The value of her estate currently stands at £128,000 in property; ... Continue Reading

CGT on IIP trust investments
on 22/09/2017 12:26, by rjhfandclf

I have had a separate thread running concerning the interpretation of main property descent to step-grandchildren. I now have a different issue concerning CGT in relation to the investments held in the IIP trust concerned ... The IIP trust was originally set up ... Continue Reading

Payments out of income for IHT purposes
on 21/09/2017 20:30, by sigmund

How can I show (and prove) that payments I make to my children and grandchildren are made out of income and hence not liable to IHT? There do not appear to be any HMRC forms or any information as to what records have to be kept. I do not want my executors to have ... Continue Reading


ICPA Chairman Tony Margaritelli on MTD